RTC North is a long established business support organisation. It originated as the Regional Technology Centre (RTC) for the North East and Cumbria – one of a network of 12 set up by national government in 1987.
Whilst others failed to adapt to self financing status, RTC North grew steadily into its current position as one of the leading independent technology transfer companies in Europe employing over 60 people.
Much of this growth – achieved through successive funding regimes – has been the result of working successfully on regional regeneration projects with the Department of Trade & Industry (DTI), Northern Development Company (NDC), The Department of Health, Government Office North East (GONE), ONE North East, The Northwest Development Agency and Yorkshire Forward.
- October 1987 – A project is founded at Newcastle University as part of a public network of 12 regional technology centres
- April 1989 – RTC North becomes a company and moves to small offices on Chester Road, Sunderland
- February 1991 – Long term Technical Support contract finances move to Sunderland Enterprise Park ‘Technical Action Line’
- January 1993 – ‘Sprint’ and ‘Value’ contracts create major new European opportunities
- March 1996 – Increased regional funding for Technology Transfer support prompts move to new premises
- July 1998 – Improved links with universities leads to stronger focus on R&D exploitation
- January 2002 – RTC North wins very large national contracts to work with Manufacturing (Manufacturing Advisory Service) and the Health Service (NHS Innovations North) (40)
- June 2003 – Opening of office in Liverpool to provide advice for companies looking to access European Commission funding for R&D under the ‘Framework Programme’ (Frameworks North West)
- October 2004 – RTC is awarded management contract to manage the incubator at NetPArk science park in Sedgefield County Durham. (62)
- October 2006 – RTC North is awarded joint contract to deliver the European R&D Support Program from new office in Leeds.
- April 2008 – RTC North establishes branches in Yorkshire the North West to ensure more regionally focused offering to regional development agencies. (65)
- November 2008 - RTC North wins contract with One North East to run Design Network North - a regional business support initiative designed to increase the contribution of design to the wealth of the region